Real flowers smell better and communicate powerfully, than the artificial bouquets. Likewise, the reality shows have proved its efficiency in the media entertainment cadres.
The ‘Big Boss’ is one of the popular reality shows in India. The program style resembles the ‘Big Brother’ reality show, which was first established in Netherlands. It was also conducted in UK and Ireland. The ‘Big Brother’ show became most popular, when the Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty was criticized under racism by the British celebrity, Jade Goody. But in turn that had gained fame and glory for Shipa Shetty and did throw light on nationwide opposition against racism.
This show bears many series and is also conducted in many seasons. Recently, the ‘Season 4’ of ‘Big Boss’ series was started in the month of October, 2010 and is hosted by, one of the biggest and all-time favorite Bollywood stars, Salman Khan. The reason for making the starts to host the show is that it creates more popularity to the show. For example, when Salman Khan is hosting, then obviously his fans would be interested in watching the show and this doesn’t get ceased with this, they would further promote the show via, word of mouth, which entirely gains more spectators to the show, thereby making it as a massive hit. One more reason is that it would be the most powerful marketing mode in promoting a show. More investors and advertisers would come forward to participate. This means more money, net profit and ultimate hit. The fact that these shows brought remarkable changes in broadcasting the real feelings and emotions of the participants, which resembled the normal people’s lives is extraordinary and couldn’t be ignored. In India, many such shows had rocked the past and numerous such shows are taking birth, every year to steal the media viewers. Nobody could forget the success of the shows like, ‘Crorepatti’, which was hosted by ‘Amitabh Bachchan’, ‘Paanchvi Pass’, which was hosted by ‘Shahrukh Khan’, ‘Airtel Super Singer’, ‘Jodi Number 1’, etc… in India.
According to my perception, the advantages and disadvantages of such reality shores are listed here:
- These shows would broadcast, almost all the happenings, which comprises of participant’s feelings, emotions, debates, fights, arguments, etc… Such activities would again resemble to most people’s daily activities in life, which actually makes them to like such shows.
- It is fast and dynamic. This has made these shows more interesting.
- When people are tired after a long day’s work, they would feel relaxed and better by watching such shows, because they could relate it to the real life competitions; work pressures, etc…
- The hidden surprises of the next event or happenings are the real success of these shows.
- Youngsters could be easily affected by such kind of shows. The behaviors and cultures in these are kept open to attract more viewers, but sometimes by broadcasting the private moments in the television could induce the people, majorly the youngsters.
- Some people are even changing their dressing sense and habits, by watching such shows. If changes implicate positive consequences, then it is definitely acceptable, but conversely, if it implements negative changes, then it is questionable?
- Broad variations from the cultures in order to attract all kind of viewers, might sometimes end up in distracting the viewers.